FITS is a versatile data format initially dedicated to images, but which is now used for multidimensional data products. It is the main astronomy standard format. In VESPA, it is used by remote sensing teams, mainly for
- Solar Physics
The Surface task is proposing an extension of FITS to describe properly images projected on planetary surfaces (so that they can be plotted accurately from information contained in fits header): GeoFITS.
In addition, interface with GIS is addressed is several ways:
- fits support in the GDAL conversion library is improved.
- A fits plugin for QGIS makes it possible to load images in this format
- fits support in ImageJ is improved
- FITS Support at NASA/GSFC. http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov
- FITS metadata for Solar Physics. http://bass2000.bagn.obs-mip.fr/Tarbes/spip.php?rubrique22